Friday, January 4, 2008

A Real Test of Patience at UMMC

Yesterday I went for an appointment at the Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya/University Malaya Medical Centre. To be specific it was the Cardiology Department.

My appointment was fixed a month ago - scheduled at 11.00 am. I got the queue number at 10.47am and was told that I may have to wait some time. When asked, the people manning the counter estimated that i may get to see the doctor at about 2.00pm. Well, it's another 2 hours away. So I went to while away the hours at Delifrance; got myself some snacks and read almost every page of Straits Times.

After that, I went back to the Cardiology Dept. It was already 1.30 pm. The clinic was even more crowded than before because patients with the afternoon appointment were already registering their turn while those , like me, from the morning slots are still waiting! Some patients, especially the senior citizens were already 'fuming'; frustrations and hunger written clearly on their weary faces. One lady who accompany her husband (who was slouched at the corner, perhaps to find a bit of solace) told me she came from Sitiawan, reaching the hospital at 7.00 in order to get an early number. My goodness! They were still waiting.

I asked the nurse, "Couldn't there be a better way than to let these poor people-heart patients- wait like these?". Her answer was that, only Thursdays are for outpatients and there're only a few doctors on duty.

I waited and waited, patience waning by the seconds. The call numbers were blaring from the speaker but mine was not heard or seen flashing near the doors. Alas, at about 3.30 my number was called. I jumped up from where I was as if I've struck the jackpot!

Four and a half hours waiting. Can't remember waiting that long ( doing next to nothing) for any particular thing. Oh yes, the last time was when I went into labour for my first child umpteen years ago!

Well, the point is, we citizens could have deserved better treatment, especially those in their golden years, after slogging hard for King and Country! I REALLY felt being cheated by the government. When I chose a vocation in the civil service, I never imagine this to happen. And this was one of the rare times I seek treatment in a Government Sponsored Hospital, as I was healthy with no major health problems besides the common cold and bolds of fever , the past 27 years in the government service.

I came home at about 4.30 pm. My mind wonders what has become of our right to healthcare , etc. SOMEBODY PLEASE DO SOMETHING. MAY GOD BLESS ME WITH GOOD HEALTH ALWAYS.

3 comments:

YP said...

Malaysian may not be the healthiest lot... but we are sure well-trained to be real patience, thanks to our government departments, hospitals included.

Two times I sent my friends to the Putrajaya 'world-class' Hospital, my poor friends got to wait at least 10 minutes to be seen by a doctor.. and mind you, that was THE EMERGENCY section ! The counter guy act ed as if nothing emergency has happened !

tien mie said...

OMG teacher. I found your blog. HAHA. Not bad, by the way. Hehe... Well, keep on blogging! It's a fun way to express yourself.

See you in schooool.

tien mie said...

I think you should update! I mean, how many teachers in our school has a blog? I bet you're the only one though!

That's kewl! haha